Part of the mission of
Santa Clara Valley Gem and Mineral Society
is to provide a
number of scholarships to geology students nominated by their local
university geology departments.
- The student must be majoring in one of the earth sciences with a terrestrial focus.
- The student must be enrolled full time in the third year or fourth year of undergraduate study, or in graduate school.
- The student must have a 3.0 or better grade point average in the required subjects for their major.
- The student must demonstrate a need for financial aid.
- The student must be a citizen of the United States of America.
We have the students introduce themselves and give a brief summary about their interests, studies, and future career in Geology at one of monthly meetings.
The selected student is required to participate throughout our
(formely annual show) . which is held in April at the Santa Clara County Fairgrounds, 344 Tully Rd., San Jose. They help out in our Kids Area .
The scholarship checks are awarded to the recipients at the conclusion of the show.
Local universities receiving scholarships:
- San Jose State University (SJSU)
- Cal State University - East Bay (CSU-EB) - formerly CSU-Hayward
- University of California, Santa Cruz (UCSC)
- Stanford University